Click to Chat

Live chat with our customer service team.

InsureWithMax Blog

A transgender child

Some families are facing confusion about their child’s gender. Known as gender dysphoria, it’s a mismatch between the gender assigned to a person at birth and the gender that they identify with. Simply playing with toys or clothing usually associated with the opposite sex, doesn’t mean a transgender child. Enforcing gender expectations is generally unhelpful and can be damaging. How to move forward? 


It’s part of life 

Experts state that gender identity is on a spectrum, with male at one end, female at the other and a diversity of gender identities in between. A young child's exploration of different gender identities is normal and usually fades away. 

In certain children, the gender dysphoria will continue into adolescence. A London-based trust received 2,519 gender referrals in 2017 for under 18s. The majority, 1,806, were assigned female at birth. Trans describes how you feel about gender identity only. Like all of us, trans people can be straight, gay, bisexual, or something else.

NHS ready 

The NHS suggests seeing a GP if a child is strongly identifying with the opposite gender and this is causing distress to them or their family. Any potential gender dysphoria children will be referred to a specialist identity clinic (GIDS), based in London or Leeds. The multidisciplinary team at GIDS works with family members and the child to help manage anxieties and ease emotional, behavioural and relationship troubles.

Team effort

The team at GIDS will focus on child safety and reduce any stigma around exploring their gender identity. They work with the parents and other agencies such as the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services.

Don’t panic

As children grow up, gender-variant behaviour or feelings tend to disappear. Some parents may feel guilty or responsible, but they have done nothing wrong. It's also important to support the parents, as they may be experiencing feelings of loss of a child wishing to live in another gender.

ChildMax continues to insure your salary and pays your take home salary while you’re on 12 months’ unpaid leave, caring for a sick child. It starts from £49.50 or for easy budgeting an initial payment of £8.25 followed by 11 monthly payments of £3.75.

Visit at or call the UK call centre 0333 323 0098 for more information.

Important: if you feel that your child has gender dysphoria, then please speak to a medical expert, such as you GP.



Date: 12 October 2020 by Max Robinson